Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Smallpox: Not all its hyped up to be


Before I came here I had to get my smallpox and anthrax vaccines. Id heard alot of things about the anthrax vaccine and how it makes your arm burn, which it most definitely did. After few days, the soreness went away and I felt pretty good about it.

Nobody really prepared me for how cruddy I'd feel from this smallpox vaccine. Not only did I imagine a much smaller puss blister (gross, right?) but all of us that traveled here together are experiencing many of the symptoms of the flu. General achiness, dizziness, and a slight fever is how its manifested itself in me. Im definitely not looking forward to the next few days... theres no such thing as calling out sick here in Iraq.

The picture above is a canal that runs through the area that I work and was drained around the time of the invasion in 2003.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm.... pus blisters. That sounds good, I'll have that.

Unknown said...

0 days off is a shitty setup for your line of work. As a side project, you should keep a running list of Only In Iraq. I'm sure that'll make a great piece @ time's end there bro.

sargemommy said...

no one is kissing that boo boo

ElwoodG said...

Yeah, that smallpox gave me a pretty good fever and put me out of commission for a few days. Takes a while for that blister to go away and you're left with a scar, but chicks dig scars so it's ok.

Christine F. said...

That doesn't sound very fun. :(

I hope I never have to get that shot. Me and shots don't too so well together, and that sounds like extra special fun.