Friday, September 12, 2008

What a difference seven years makes


Seven years ago I decided to enlist in the US Air Force. I was 21 at the time, attending community college for three years at that point with no real idea of what I wanted to do, and working as a security guard making $8.50/hour at Six Flags in New Jersey. I left for basic training at Lackland AFB in Texas on August 29th... seven years later to the day, I was on a DC-10 departing Ft Benning, GA for Iraq.

September 11th was a difficult day for me. I was just starting my second week of basic training when our training instructor sat us down in the day room and informed us what was happening in the rest of the country. My Air Force career, and my subsequent professional career, have been shaped by that day. I arrived at the Pentagon four months after September 11th and watched the remarkable rebuilding that took place. During my tour we entered into conflicts with both Afghanistan and Iraq... conflicts that we are still in today.

And so here I am. Events that shaped my Air Force career have led me to my current position here in Baghdad supporting the Army and their mission. The same sense of patriotism and duty that led me to enlist in the Air Force seven years ago has led me to this new place in my life - working in a war zone, gaining career experience I never thought I'd have, meeting new friends and potential business partners and customers, and earning the money that I'm hoping will finally, finally, get me to financial stability.

I think at this point I know better than to try to wonder what life will be like in another seven years. If it's anything like the last seven, I could be anywhere and doing anything.

The photo above is me seven years ago, fresh out of tech school and living in my first apartment.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So, Joe... I guess since we're neighbors now, the neighborly thing to do is say howdy every now and then! And just so you know... I'll be watching ~ Kiowa

sargemommy said...

Wow you were actually a cute kid in your younger years....

Unknown said...

OMG Joe look at you baby face. Oh how we grow up? Craziness..... miss u